Sookie Stackhouse Novels Must End Says Charlaine Harris

By Lividity on Feb 9 2011 | 52 Comments »

Charlaine5 true blood sookie stackhouse books

"Last Round Sam?"

Charlaine Harris has told the LA Times that there will “probably” be only two more Sookie Stackhouse novels…

Dead Reckoning,” the 12th installment in author Charlaine Harris‘ Sookie Stackhouse mystery series, is set to arrive this May — not long before the hit TV series inspired by the franchise, HBO’s “True Blood,” returns for a fourth season — but the novelist now is looking ahead to the conclusion of her long-running saga.

“Truthfully, the next two books will probably be the last two books in the series,” Harris said last week. “I still love Sookie, but I’m beginning to want to write something else, and Sookie’s kind of taken over my life. I was able to write other things for the first few years I was involved in Sookie, but then after the start of the television show she took over so much of my time because of my increased publicity obligations that it’s been very hard to write other things, and I really need to do that.”

Harris says even though she’s a regular viewer of the show, she sometimes is surprised by how graphic it can be, particularly when it comes to the amorous adventures of Sookie’s brother Jason (Ryan Kwanten).

“Of course, the television shows things that I only allude to,” Harris said. “I’ve had some moments where I have kind of covered my eyes a little bit. My gosh, there is a huge amount of skin. I guess I just don’t see that when I’m writing so much. In the books, you know Jason’s a horndog, you know that, but knowing it and seeing it are two different experiences.”

“I think all the actors are very fun,” she said. “I think Alan’s genius lies in picking the right person for the right role. They’re all talented and doing a great job. There are some plot lines that have surprised me, but I know that they know where they’re going — I just don’t know because it’s not where I went. So I can only wait to see what’s going to develop.”

Read the rest and find out what other projects Charlaine is working on in the LA Times.

Tags: ,

52 Responses to “Sookie Stackhouse Novels Must End Says Charlaine Harris”

1. Arla says:

This makes me sad, although I knew it had to happen sooner or later.

2. Jedihsm2 says:

I think it was time for the books to end, I mean, I enjoyed them for 10 years, sooner or later it was gonna happen

3. Lizzie1701 says:

I think with the last book you could tell she was losing interest.

4. Eliza says:

I think it was a little obvious. She only is contracted to make 13 books, and none of her other series are this long. I wish she had gone this far with the Harper Connelly series. Honestly, if there wasn’t the show, then I bet she would’ve ended the series with ten books. That said, I am really happy she was contacted for numbers 11 through 13! :)

5. Tigereyes says:

I suppose a writer can only write so long about one character, and there will be 2 more books after this one, so I guess that is a long time.

6. kelly says:

Just a heads up … Dead Reckoning is Sookie book # 11 not 12.

7. Kerri says:

I will be sad but It does make since, every series needs to come to an end

8. tina says:

i understand every thing comes to a end but the way she said it i got mad like it was a bad thing about sookie she made her money and all i am sad she feel this way

9. Wolfie says:

Rumor is that Charlaine has alluded that Sookie will wind up with no vampire at the end. Doesn’t look good for Bill and Eric…on the plus side, Team Quinn might have a shot in a snow balls’ chance. LOL

But yeah, all good things must end. I survived Deathly Hallows, I shall survive the end of Sookie. That’s what rereading is for. LOL

10. tina says:

i have only read one other serice i love as much as i have sookie books and look so forward to get my hands on this book

11. Bree says:

yeah i thought i was missing something there, when i saw #12…i was like, wat?! did i miss a book???
    haha, thank god

12. bush piglet says:

Sadly I agree Wolfie but I’ve been thinking Sam might have the best shot of all.

13. Moonlight91 says:

all things must come to an end I guess; late reader of the books but I enjoyed their quirks. Can’t wait for Sookie to end up with Sam which looks like CH has been hinting this for almost 6 books

We’ve been discussing this alot lately on the HBO wiki ,bookie thread. the hints are in every book.

• Lividity says:

Yeah, and I sort of agree this would be the responsible thing to do, it’d piss off the vampire fans – but make the Samfans deservedly happy… Although part of me thinks that this is the easy way out. Anyway, whatever Ms. Harris decides is OK by me.

14. Lynne says:

Aww well, it was fun while it lasted. And honestly, I don’t see True Blood lasting for no more than 2 or 3 more seasons. Simply for the same reasons as Charlaine Harris, everybody on the show will eventually want to move on to other things.

I have always thought it was going to be Sam and that is okay by me…..as long as she doesn’t make it happen by killing Eric off. I want to think of him still being out there somewhere…lol
    But after reading Book 10, I was struck by the Remy character(Hunter’s father). That would be the perfect match for her. Human, but with an understanding about the supernatural. Sookie could help with Hunter. Sookie could have an almost normal life and the family she wants. Probably never going to happen, but that is what I thought about as I was reading it.

You know, even with all the criticizms of parts of the books, she really did give us something special to read didn’t she?

• cr says:

I think she’s mentioned that even if Sookie doesn’t end up with Eric/Bill/Sam/Alcide/Quinn or whomever, that the others will end the series ‘happy’. Or at least not really and truly dead.

16. Isabella5 says:

Bout flippin time! geez.

17. jewel says:

OK Where can I start. I do not usually say anything. Kind of like Jason who has no clue but kind oF llike a sorry soul who wants and needs a great story and especially a maybe a great love story. Mrs Harris started out her Southern Vampire Series or Sookie Stackhouse or what ever she now calls it. And she is now offended by the sex. Actually, she should have given up or restructured the ending of her first and most engrossing book when she decided to make the love of her life a………What………….We kept reading , thinking she would right things. ……. worked for a while Eric was a fun thing for a brief time, but Here I am, …………;making Sookiie now into a wh..e with men that she does not love. Disreguarding the great love story Bill and Sookie emily Bronte sooo she decides to go with Eric Alcide Quinn? This is not what i thought Sookie was—-just a slut. I would love to have a repy from Mrs Harris as to why she grew to hate the love story that started this whole thing off. I would have never watched True Blood if Anna Paquin and Alan ball had not been envolved. But ,having loved the first episode, I bought all of the books ,t

TO BE CONTINUED

soo

See I never understand this line of thinking with Sookie. Are you saying that Sookie must stay with a man who did her wrong? I put myself in her position. What would I do? If a man did me wrong, I would grieve, but then I would move on and try to find someone who would make me happy. And I wouldn’t feel guilty, I wouldn’t think I had to stay with someone who hurt me so badly. That is not a healthy relationship. Sookie is not a loose woman. Some of her relationships are not sexual. She is searching for someone who will love her and trying to find the life she wants to live. Does she make mistakes? Yes, as we all do. But I see her as a strong woman who is trying to take charge of her life.

• Char says:

It’s unfortunate that you think a woman can’t have sex with whoever she wants without being a “slut” and a “whore”. I doubt you’d be saying this about, say, Jason.

18. jewel says:

OK Where can I start. I do not usually say anything. Kind of like Jason who has no clue but kind oF llike a sorry soul who wants and needs a great story and especially a maybe a great love story. Mrs Harris started out her Southern Vampire Series or Sookie Stackhouse or what ever she now calls it. And she is now offended by the sex. Actually, she should have given up or restructured the ending of her first and most engrossing book when she decided to make the love of her life a………What………….We kept reading , thinking she would right things. ……. worked for a while Eric was a fun thing for a brief time, but Here I am, …………;making Sookiie now into a wh..e with men that she does not love. Disreguarding the great love story Bill and Sookie emily Bronte sooo she decides to go with Eric Alcide Quinn? This is not what i thought Sookie was—-just a slut. I would love to have a repy from Mrs Harris as to why she grew to hate the love story that started this whole thing off. I would have never watched True Blood if Anna Paquin and Alan ball had not been envolved. But ,having loved the first episode, I bought all of the books …………tO BE CONTINUED

TO BE CONTINUED

soo

19. jewel says:

GREAT EDITING

20. jewel says:

I .love the avatar– love the hair-do the highheel and the green

21. Cher says:

Hmm..ok, I think Sam would be an obvious choice but not the best one. Sookie I’d a very unusual woman with the ability to read human minds and although twoey minds are harder to read she can still get them, hence the reason she first fell so hard for Bill and now the deaders are so appealing to her. Sookie and Eric have something special and I believe that Eric loves her so much but it has to be understood that he has been undead for more than 1000 years and having to adjust himself for his newly found love for a human while still honoring his life and power as a vampire…anyway book 11 did kind if veer off as if ms. Harris had lost interest but dead reckoning was another “cant put it down” book! And the way it ended I am really excited for the next, and I am going to be sooo sad with the conclusion of the series…however every good book must come to an end :-)

22. val says:

i love this series, but if
    Sookie ends up with Sam im gonna be VERY disappointed! He is so boring and too safe of a choice! i love her and Eric together but i know those two arent gonna last. if she ends up with anyone im really hoping for Quinn! he was such a great and HOT guy! yes he had some baggage but he had nothing but good intentions for sookie and truly cared for her and her well being.. im really hoping he comes back into the picture.. and in the book, sookie even says she may end up regretting her decision about braking up with him! so maybe theres still hope :)

23. Team Eric says:

I get the feeling she may end up with Sam, but she doesn’t love him. They’ve been friends for years and all of a sudden she would date him? That’s dumb as hell. He wasn’t interested until others showed interest plus Sookie would never really be happen because she can hear his thoughts sorta. I’d love her to be with Eric. They have the strongest relationship out of all the others. She feels comfortable with him, they can talk about anything together, they truly love each other and the sex is amazing! The only barrier is her aging and never wanting to become a vamp because if her love for the sub. She never says it but its obvious with het tanning ritual and love if spring. Quinn would be an okay choice if he hadn’t disrespected her on her porch. Bill is a lying cheating bastard just like the show. Alcide has changed too much so honestly she may just end up alone, which sucks but she has definitely matured since the first few books. I’d like Sookie to find love but it doesn’t seem likely, I just hope everyone will be happy in the end. I swear every series I read ends horribly….

24. Meagan says:

to say I got sucked into these books is a severe understatement, I real all 11 in a month. I adore Eric, and her relationship with him, so naturally I’d love to see those two stay together. I keep wondering what she’s going to use the cluviel dor for, naturally being a huge Eric fan I almost hope she makes him human with it. That would be interesting! I’m sad that the book series has to end to what seems to me so suddenly, because I only just started reading them a month ago, but I can understand that all good things must come to an end. I guess at this point I can only hope that true blood lasts even half as long as the book series has.

• Team Eric says:

That wouldn’t be a bad idea, but the question is would Eric want to be human? I think she should try and wish away the queen of Arkansas for Eric.

• Nichole says:

I actually never thought about her using the cluviel dor for that! Turning Eric human or possibly making herself vampire?? Although Im sure Eric would enjoy “helping” Sookie with that task and she could save the cluviel dor for another day. I doubt very much Eric would want to be human again but maybe if he is as in love with Sookie as the book indicates he would make that sacrifice .. then maybe they wouldn’t have to deal with vampire legalities.

• cj says:

That’s what I was hoping!!

25. VMP says:

I hear a rumor that Sookie will contract Sino-AIDS and infect Eric, thus leaving him easy to catch and stake. How will she get it ? That’s what I am wondering. And, will it be over between them because of it? Eric won’t die, that Charlaine Harris has been clear on.

26. jayymichelle says:

I played softball with her daughter ^_^

27. Nichole says:

I really love these books. Where I know everything does come to an end I am sad to hear that it will soon. I just finished reading book 12. There is not much going on in this book so I went looking for some answers online for when the next one would be out. I think that this story could be taken so much further. I do watch the show too of course. I actually have my DVR set so I don’t miss it .. but I really do love the books so much more. If #13 is the final book there should include something MAJOR for Sookie.. Anyways, really hope that 13 is not the last I just can’t put these books down.

28. Amber-Team Eric says:

while it is the 11th book regarding sookie, there is also the many short stories taking place between the books major plots. They are all compiled into different books with many other authors of short stories, so who knows? maybe it wont technicly be the end and Mrs Harris will keep us all going on short stories after the 13th book.

I like the idea that Sookie wishes Eric to be human with the cluviel dor – but then again she would be able to hear his thoughts and she cant wish her telepathy away.. What I think will happen (well what Id like to see happen) is that Eric turns her after her journey into the world of supes and legends finally catches up to her and it is either that or death. Since the telepathy is so much a part of her, she brings it into her new vampire life finally being able to hear the vampires minds because she is one. But make it so its easy to control so shes not too annoyed with it. Then keeping up with the hint that there will be a wish coming i think she should wish for her and Eric to be able to walk in the sun – HA! Vampire walkin in the sun. I know, I know! It goes against all we vamp lovers know and expect out of a good vampire good.. But it just makes so much sense to me tie it all together like that. (can ya tell I just watched the new episode of TrueBlood? LOL) It combines Sookies love for the sun and Eric, her fears about getting older and so many other things..

But the truth is I just cant wait to see how Mrs Harris ends a fantastic series. We can only speculate until then. Like Wolfie says.. We survived the Deathly Hallows, We can survive the end of Sookie

• Team Eric says:

The idea of Sookie turning vampire is really appealing, but it still stands that the Queen if Arkansas is a problem. I think maybe Charlaine Harris put that block on their relationship purposely, so they’d have a justified reason for breaking up. If her and Eric did stay together though her wishing they’d be able to be in the sun would be fantastic!!!! I just hope Sookie doesn’t settle for Sam. I’d probably be devastated. I picked up these books because harry potter was ending and became obsessed only to find out so were these books. I love the show and when I realized Eric missed the sun your idea seems best!!I’m anxious to see how these books end being that my childhood/harry potter is over:(

29. Janice says:

I love this series! I read the 10th in a day (last sunday) and I just got done with the 11th just now(tuesday). I stretched it out because I knew I would have to wait awhile. I’ve never been much of a reader because I couldn’t find good enough books but Harry Potter sucked me in and so did Sookie. Even when I’m not reading all I can think about is Sookie’s life and how very unique her story is. I would love for her to stay with Eric because they love each other so much… I’m worried about the bond being broken and about the contract his maker signed but I hope it all works out. I really really hate that the books are going to end… I love them soooo much!!!! I know everything must come to an end and I understand what Mrs. Harris is saying but I love Sookie and I feel that I would never get bored with her story. However, I do understand that she doesn’t want everyone to get tired or how she puts it… she doesn’t want the series to get “stale”. I can’t wait for the next book. It’s really sad to think about how I will have to wait until next year for the next one. Charlaine has made a wonderful and supernatural world but yet we can relate at the same time. I love that about these books and I hate to see them go but I will never forget them, that’s for sure! I love you Mrs. Harris for giving me the wonderful chance to be “sucked” into your world!

30. Kristie says:

I like the idea of her using the cluviel dor to make Eric human. I am definitely a fan of the Eric/Sookie relationship so I would love for that to continue. After reading the 11th book I was becoming a little worried that it was the end of Eric and Sookie, because of the contract with the Queen of Oklahoma and then at the end when Eric bites her and she says it hurt and it was a “turning point” in their relationship.

Sookie won’t ever become a vampire-that’s been pretty clear. I would love for Eric to become human; that would satisfy the rumors that she “doesn’t end up with a vampire” but i think i’ve read somewhere that Charlaine said vampires can’t become human again? That interview might have been before the cluviel dor came into the picture, though.

I think the most likely prospect is Sam, I wouldn’t be thrilled if she ended up with Sam (I am Team Eric, all the way. Obviously) but I wouldn’t be sad about it.

• Team Eric says:

I know what you mean about the turning point, its very disappointing. I really don’t want her with Sam. I don’t hate him they just aren’t right for one another.

31. Kristie says:

You’re right. I don’t think Sookie and Sam have that spark. They have a wonderful friendship and a great working relationship. I just don’t see them as a couple.

It would be wonderful if Sookie and Eric were able to stay together. I think it might actually break MY heart if they break up.

• Team Eric says:

Exactly! Plus like it or not, at the end of the day she can still kinda read his mind. Ultimately that would make her very unhappy. I am very nervous for the next book, because I know if they break up I will be heartbroken and I don’t see her re-cooperating too well afterward. I’d rather her end up alone than to see her unhappy with Sam though.

• Kristie says:

Yeah. I think that is Sookie’s pattern (like Eric questioned in oh..Club Dead?); that she runs or turns away when things don’t exactly like she thinks they should? With her other relationships I understood, though. Bill cheated (I know it was his Maker; so no choice) but also finding out he was ordered to ‘seduce her’. That’s low-I agree she needed to walk away from him. Alcide was way too caught up with Debbie and then he did completely change and seemed to use Sookie? Quinn-I think he was my favorite but he does have that baggage and will probably always put protecting/saving his mother and sister over Sookie. So walking away from that was understandable, too.

The relationship with Eric, though..he is trying to do everything he can to get out of the arranged marriage with Oklahoma. And he “bit her and it hurt” but..that is nothing compared to all the other ex’s. He was juiced up from the fight and wanted some loving. She shot him right down and didn’t seem at all happy about the fact that Victor was gone so they could live in ‘peace.’ (For however long…it is Sookie she’s always in trouble.)
        I do think it’s foreshadowing heart break.

I agree with you and would rather her be alone working on being happy and independent then settling for Sam.

I think I’m more concerned on what the break up would do to Eric? How silly is that. I see how in love with her he is..and him being a vampire. I just feel like since that doesn’t happen often (..with Eric at least) how is he going to get over it? How would the break up change him?

I’ll just keep my fingers crossed for her wishing to turn Eric human again (and Eric agreeing to that). :)

• Team Eric says:

Omg I love that you’re concerned for Eric:) now that I think about it I’m convinced it will ruin him. He will either become more ruthless or become really sensitive and a all around bad sheriff. The worst is he’ll most likely take it out on Pam just because she’s there. We both know how terrible it is when they fight.

But you’re right, her reasoning for being mad at Eric is completely pathetic compared to the other excuses she used for other guys. And she’s a total hypocrite because before she was all for Victor’s death then it happens and she’s unhappy with the results because a few lives were lost. I guest that just goes to show us how human Sookie really is. Now matter how many battles she sees and lives that are lost she’ll never be used to it.

If she turns Eric human this series will officially be the best I’ve ever read:) I really believe they’d be so happy together. Hopefully Charlaine changes her mind about vampires not being able to turn back.

32. Charley (Team Eric) says:

As much as I would love either Eric to turn human or Sookie to turn into a vampire (so they can be together) I can’t see it happening. On the Charlaine Harris website it has a Q&A section and she states that neither Eric/Bill will become human and Sookie wont be turned into a deader. So end of that theory.

Personally, I can see her ending up with Sam which seems like the easy way out and, as much as I like the character, it will be hugely disappointing. I’m a huge Eric fan and Sam and Sookie just don’t have the chemistry that her and Eric have. If her and Eric do have to split though I hope he doesn’t die … I might actually cry if that happened.

And as for Bill …he’s a complete douche and I really hope that her ending up with him is not an option.

33. Olivia says:

I agree with a lot of guys and I seriously just finished the 11th book about 20 minutes ago and came on line to check and see if maybe the next book was being talked about. I didn’t know that True Blood was based off a series so as soon as I heard this I bought the box set and started reading furiously. I’m a huge vampire nerd, I have almost every popular series these days dealing with the supernatural. I pretty much finished this series in a month.

But yes, I was thinking maybe Sookie would use the cluviel dor to make Eric human, fingers crossed. And maybe since it would be like bringing Eric back to life she still couldn’t read his mind. Just a thought. I would be sincerely heartbroken if she ended up with Sam at the end of the series, I feel like he would just be the fall back guy. Yes, he is very sweet and they have a great friendship but it’s very much like he’s a last resort. And as for Quinn I liked the idea of him and wished Sookie would have found a way to deal with his baggage. I am a big fan of Eric and Sookie being together, believe me, but isn’t she carrying a lot of Eric’s baggage too? I think if Sookie would have been able to spend more time with Quinn in the beginning of their relationship and he wasn’t gone all the time planning parties that maybe things would have turned out differently. But then what would Charlaine Harris had to write about then? But that was just something I noticed. I really hope Ms. Harris finds someway to make Sookie and Eric’s relationship last. As for Alcide, he was sweet at first now he’s a cocky butthole. And for Bill, I think he’s’ still sweet, I have a softspot for him. He didn’t really have a choice and he couldn’t help falling in love with her, it just happened.

34. karin says:

i think it sucks to end the series of books and the tv series is great ive read all her other series to and sookie novels are the best why cant she become a vamp perhars hehehe? poor eric

35. karin says:

please just not sam what makes him so special i dont even feel like reading further if thats going to be the end its a vamp novel make it vamps

36. m63 says:

Eric, Alcide & Quinn are hunks & all but come on get real. Sookie will end up with Sam. They are best friends and love each other for who they are. That’s the only way the story can end. They have “true love”. I’ll miss Sookie and company when the series ends but I get it. It would be cool if she wrote some more Harper Connely stories. I’d like to know what she & her soul mate are up to.

37. Peggy says:

I haven’t read all comments, maybe about the first ten or so, and I see the date of the last post is from January, so its possible this post might not be seen or even pretty much ignored if so. I just finished book 11 today and was wondering about the release of book 12, which is why I’m here now. I originally got into this because of True Blood and so became a fan of the Sookie/Bill pairing, but as the seasons went and I finally started reading the books (last month), I am now firmly set on a Sookie/Eric pairing.

Well, regardless of which pairing you are a fan of (you being anyone reading this post), though more geared towards people who would rather see Sookie with a vampire of your choice, considering how she loves the sun and doesn’t want to be a vampire, what if she were to use that cluviel dor (please forgive me if I’ve spelled that wrong) to wish that her life span would be as long as that of the vampire she was in love with? I think it would be perfect, really. Well, not completely perfect as she will still be seeing her friends and family grow old and die, but life was never meant to be completely perfect anyway. But wishing to extend her life span to have years (decades, centuries…) with her vampire beau while still being essentially human would give her the best of both worlds, I think.

Then again, maybe Sookie spending more time with her fairy relatives – despite Claude being kicked out – making her feel more fairy, might actually be strengthening her fairy side and giving her a longer life span.

In any case, I’m anxiously anticipating the release of book 12 and I’m hoping to be able to get to the book store to pick it up on day 1.