Anna Paquin is bisexual

By ZZ on Apr 1 2010 | 70 Comments »

Anna Paquin made the revelation about her bisexuality during a top-secret taping earlier this year of a Public Service Announcement (PSA) on behalf of the True Colors Fund, an organization dedicated to fighting for equal rights for everyone –gay, straight, bisexual or transgendered.

The PSA was taped Saturday, January 30th, at the Standard Hotel in Los Angeles, and a source exclusively tells RadarOnline.com that Paquin, on-camera, identified herself as being bisexual, saying: “I’m Anna Paquin. I’m bisexual, and I give a damn.”

The True Colors Fund is the non-profit arm of the True Colors Tour. Co-founded by Cyndi Lauper, the organization, according to it’s website, is dedicated “to inspire and engage everyone, particularly the straight community, to become active participants in the advancement of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT) equality and ensure a strong and vibrant LGBT community.”

ap bisexual anna paquin

source

Tags:

70 Responses to “Anna Paquin is bisexual”

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Toni Davis, Bernice Morgan and sujun, True Blood News. True Blood News said: Anna Paquin is bisexual http://bit.ly/9iMOsA #trueblood [...]

2. CitizenErased says:

Blimey, good on her eh? Brave move in Hollywood to come out and say it.

• truplasma says:

No “brave move” in Hollywood. It is widely accepted. If anything it gives her some press time. It’s a blip on the screen. Ellen Degeneres came out just as her prime time career was fading and it gave her a boost.

3. NotHoney says:

It’ll be interesting to see how much the press makes of her revelation. It shouldn’t be a big deal at all but I’m sure she and Steve will be asked about it in future interviews. *sigh*

4. Lividity says:

This shouldn’t be a big deal. But I’m really proud of her going out there so that people know that there is nothing scary or unusual about it. I’m sure she’ll shut anyone down if they ask her any unsolicited questions regarding this. It should have no place in general Q&A sessions. I mean really, who comes out and asks people, “So, you’re heterosexual huh?”

• CitizenErased says:

I anticipate lots of retarded questions for both Anna and Stephen. She doesn’t fall into the categories of skanky party girl (Lohan) or totally gay (Ellen) or downright kinky (Angelina, before she got all UN Mom), so the media will be all over it. A serious actress who’s engaged saying she’s bi? Unusual.

• Lividity says:

Unusual for sure, but I pity the fool who gets ugly with her about it (actually I don’t). She’s fierce when it comes to bullshit questions.

5. Tincar says:

Good for you Anna! Very brave move from a very sophisticated women. I guess I should say good for Stephen to…lol

• Aemac says:

Brava Anna. You know she’s had it listed on her fb that she’s into men and women, so it’s not much of a surprise, but it’s rather cool that she’s being even more public about it.

6. AdeleH says:

Could this woman be anymore beautiful, smart, talented and brave? But, sadly, I do agree that stupid guestions are not far behind. I only hope I live long enough to see the day that questions about someone’s sexuality become as silly and unnecessary as “What’s your sign”.

7. AdeleH says:

Me again. The People Magazine site already has it at the top of their front page. The tsunami of stupidity has begun!

8. chris says:

SM must have known about it … and it happened before they dated …

so, making her around 23-24 then?

Not too unusual … and she did make the statement about being attracted to people (not men) when asked about why she was with SM.

Just hope that the kids mom’s don’t make a fuss to keep her away from his children.

9. crystal says:

I tried going on to the actual “we give a dam website, “and it is shut down. The stupidity has already started. I give her huge support for saying it. But I am allready afraid of the upcoming bullshit that will be made of this. it is already out their. I can only wonder what steven moyer and anna are going to be asked and hopfully not crazally followed around in publick like they usually are. I whould love for moyer to turn into vengufll bill mode and start attacking these people. hell naybe all the vamps and wheres in the show can get involved. hehe.

10. wiwa says:

I admire Anna for speaking out and supporting the effort, but I’m sorry that it’s necessary to run a campaign like this in the 21th century.

11. CrazyforBill says:

Anna is one hell of a brave, gutsy person for saying this. The blogosphere is going crazy with all kinds of comments. The haters are out in full force, same people who don’t like the gap in her teeth, think she is a skank or ugly, and that Steve is way too old for her, etc. The usual haters. What a bunch of assholes. Too bad there isn’t an intelligence/personality test required to post on the internet. Why anyone goes on the internet to be nasty and hateful is beyond me. If you don’t like someone, just shut the fuck up about it!
    I am sure Steve knew all about this and I am equally sure that she loves him madly, it must be kind of nice for him to know that she prefers him above all other men and all other women, too.
    Actually the sanest comments can be found on The Huffington Post, where the majority of posters think she’s great and it’s cool that she did this. Thank heavens for some modicum of intelligence.

12. CrazyforBill says:

Anna is one hell of a brave, gutsy person for saying this. The blogosphere is going crazy with all kinds of comments. The haters are out in full force, same people who don’t like the gap in her teeth, think she is a skank or ugly, and that Steve is way too old for her, etc. What a bunch of assholes. Too bad there isn’t an intelligence/personality test required to post on the internet. Why anyone goes on the internet to be nasty and hateful is beyond me. If you don’t like someone, just shut the fuck up about it!

13. typeoneg says:

I agree, CFB, that she and Steve must have discussed this at some point, and it apparently didn’t matter to him. And how cool is it, that she prefers him over all other men, and women as well. Quite the compliment, I’d say. Way to go, Steve.

14. truplasma says:

Who will be the next cast member to come out?

15. jay says:

wow! what a shock, Anna usually always just keeps 2 herself & she’s always kept her private life just that. So 2 c her come out is surprising. But its 4 something she is passionate about so good 4 her.. Its real ‘ballzy’ of her, but Anna being ‘ballzy’ doesnt surprise me she is not like most actresses in the industry.. You go girl!!!

16. Susan says:

Anna handles her private life very well. She keeps it private. I started to say, “I pity the fool who tries to get personal about her being bi”, but no, if the media is stupid enough to ask her too personal questions, she will give them a learning experience. Damn, I love that woman! LoL!

I think Anna picked the perfect forum in which to come out – no hype, just a simple fact. I hate the word “classy” because it is over-used, and usually no where near accurate, but I must say, Anna is one class act.

17. BillsNia says:

Good for Anna!! I admire her honesty and willingness to speak out! We need more tolerane and acceptance in this all to puritan world.
    I am sure that Stephen would support her 100%, and I also will bet that their honesty with each other is what keeps their relationship strong.
    You go girl!

18. chris says:

Why isn’t SM making some type of supportive statement? Like …

“I am in love with who Anna is … the person inside … and we agreed that doing the spot was an important way to get the message of the group publicized”

• Aemac says:

Why should Steve make a public statement of support? Obviously he does, their engaged. What would be the point?

I find it interesting that Anna declared herself since she and Steve try to avoid publicity and now their going to be hounded by the paparazzi and tabloids.

• nothoney says:

But I wonder for how long this’ll be the hot news? it was huge on Google yesterday, but if she and Steve refuse to make statements I think the uproar will die down faster. Anna’s made her statement and, like you wrote, Steve has made his by proposing marriage; there’s nothing else they need to say.

Here’s hoping the interest, and incredibly salacious comments, about Anna’s personal life die down and people start paying attention to the cause she represents. Love is love – doesn’t matter what gender or species you get yours from. :-)

• typeoneg says:

Yeah, I don’t see this as a big deal…or that he needs to make some sort of statement. I just hope this doesn’t make things worse with the paps.

19. chris says:

Anna’s statement makes more sense of the fact that the co-stars of the show did not know the two were dating.

She wanted to make sure before committing … Anna is so blunt, she must have told him from the start.

Wonder how he is explaining everything to his parents and children who are bound to hear about it at some point.

20. typeoneg says:

It’s just a shame that we make such a big deal about one’s sexuality; I mean, as long as they’re happy together (which they evidently are), what difference does it make?

21. Lizzie says:

I admire her for stating this but am afraid of backlash. I just read 9 pages of blog on the EW site. Lots were complimentary, but a majority of the talk was about threesomes! Sick, eh??

I wish them the best.

22. chris says:

Neither seems the type for a “threesome” …

Just two souls who love each other … hoping that he sticks by her!!

Plus, as an actor, there is a chance he may have had some encounter himself at some point

23. mbb says:

i thoroughly applaud her honesty. There is never a surfeit of support for the concerns of the LGBT community.

24. Sarah says:

I too applaud her bravery and honesty – but fear the media/ pap frenzy will increase tenfold now . This has even made the pages of The Sun newspaper in the UK which sadly focuses on the fact no wedding date has been announced. Typical tabloid trash !!

• nothoney says:

Do we think they’ll announce a wedding date? I doubt it. I figure they’ll get married and we’ll learn about it while they’re off on a honeymoon in an undisclosed location. :-)

• Sarah says:

I hope that is the case Nothoney otherwise the wedding would turn into a media feeding frenzy !! Wish them both best of luck …!

25. Julie says:

First off, I do applaud Anna’s honesty.
    On another note, how do you guys feel about a woman claiming to be bisexual, once she has already
    committed herself to a man, to marry? I am having a conversation as we speak with my cousin, who feels
    that Anna’s statements have emasculated Stephen. She can’t see him feeling good about all the press
    Anna is getting now about being “bisexual”. I personally feel like Anna has made her choice with Stephen,
    and her bisexual escapades are probably in the past, but this has opened an interesting discussion with me and
    my cousin and I was wondering your thoughts?

• Melissa says:

I think it’s not abou sex, it’s abut love… She’s in love with Steve but she could have fall for a woman, it’s not about what’s between your legs but about the person you are. And regarding her bisexual escapades being in the past… Again she is in love with Steve, even if she wasn’t bi, she is a commited relationship now, not matter who she slept with in the past (man, women, onions) she is with him now…

I personally don’t believe in labels, I believe in love and if that love comes from a person of the same sex, so be it…

• typeoneg says:

She didn’t say she was a Lesbian; she said Bisexual…capable of being sexually attracted to men and women. But in this case she chose a man…an incredibly funny, gorgeous, charming man, btw. I see it as a sort of compliment to Steve that she prefers him over all others. And I feel certain that they discussed this subject long ago…it’s not news to them, just to all of us.

• Eva says:

yeah, it’s your cousin. right.

• Selle says:

I’m nervous about posting what I really think because I’m not keen to get flamed for kinda disagreeing.

Her coming out publically, I don’t get it. She’s a million times braver than I’d ever be on my bravest day. I also don’t follow why Bisexuality even belongs in the same parade is Gay. I’ve known a lot of bisexual people and not a single one of them was ever the brunt of prejudice on the level gay people often are. But what do I know about it? I’m not gay or bi, so in reality, I’m an outsider to the experience. Also, I live on the west coast and everyone is very open and supported here, so there’s alot I don’t know about prejudice.

Also, I must be massively money-oriented, because the first thing I thought of when she did that was “whoops, she just lost money because there are jobs she won’t get now because it’s about brand-image for actors and models for some of the roles they’d be considered for”. There are indeed people all across the midwest and the deep south who will be turned off by what they know and all the casting people know it. When you get cast for a part, you have to be “believable” and your public image always comes into play. That’s why alot of actors choose to keep their public image as generic and unknown as the possibly can.

Case in point: Tiger Woods. He’s losing endorsements and being pulled from Ad campaigns left and right, and it’s because his sex life (which should be private and between him and his wife and lovers) is now common knowlege. There are people who feel it’s no one’s danged business and would still enjoy seeing him on ad campaigns and there are people who don’t care to see him ever again because despite his talent, they can’t get past what they know about his private life.

Truth be told, in our celebrity society, people climb right inside the most intimate details of celebrities’ lives. The celebrity press is a two-edged sword, it cuts to the good and it cuts to the bad. And if celebrities want to let the public in on things, they have to expect a response. Now it is for Anna to explain what it means. Otherwise, why come out with this knowing it’s so misunderstood and unfairly treated, then expect to not have to explain it. I think she will explain it, including in the context of her relationship with Stephen. JMO.

26. crystal says:

I am thinking that the news has already died down. Their does not seem to be much talk about it today. I am shure that at some point some reporter will ask about it. I think the biggest thing is that they are are surpirsed that a bisexual can be engaged. I whent back and saw the psa, and it really is not such a huge “shocker” to me really. The media is making this out to be bigger then what it is, and I hope that anna and steve do not make a stament about it really. I do think that once they get married we will hear about it later or something. I kind of due hope that they relese some type of pictures for fans on true blood fan websites only. Just an idea.

27. chris says:

I am curious about SM reaction …

He has always seemed to be the “instigator” of portraying them as a really romantic couple

If she is bi, why was he so certain she would say yes to his proposal? what about the reaction of his children?

I am honestly not sure about the future of their relationship… even though I truely believe that they are soul mates.

Someone on the show, anyone, needs to say something or all are liable the get hit with many questions the first time any of them are being interviewed.

28. Julie says:

I totally agree with you guys. I don’t know, I don’t believe in labels either, and I believe you fall in love with a person, not a “sex” of a person, but….but…….something about her declaring she is bi right now doesn’t sit right with me……
    Because, I think it calls her relationship with Stephen into questions and puts unneeded attention on their relationship. It kinda makes her relationship with Stephen seem not as serious as I believed it was……
    And as for Stephen, as a MAN, do you think this announcement makes him feel good? I don’t know why this is bothering me so much……..

29. Lividity says:

As I personally feel that all of us are a tad bi-sexual, given the proper circumstances and in different levels, this just doesn’t seem that much of a big deal to me. I do see how some might not agree with my attitudes and have a difficult time perhaps with this. I’m not sure what her being bi has to do with loving someone and agreeing to marrying them though. If I like to sleep with men, that doesn’t mean that I like to sleep with all men. And if I get married, I’ve decided upon one man. My husband shouldn’t worry about who else I want to sleep with, because I’ve already told him and agreed to marry him, meaning he’s gonna be my only sexual partner (unless we’ve decided experimentation is allowable in the marriage). Same with a bi person who decides to get married, not seeing the difference.

Also, I think more children should be exposed to the realities of the world, will make for a future filled with less hate.

30. ZZ says:

ok I guess this is just a fake but this chick, @capricecrane who seems to be some kind of journalist (verified account)
    has tweeted:

Anna Paquin: “I’m bisexual.” Husband Stephen Moyer: “I support my wife’s decision to see women. In our bed. With me.”

i know this is may be a fake but it sounds like something he would say heh

fake or true, we’ll never know.

• Aemac says:

LOL I can see Steve saying something like this too Maria and then the tabloids turning his words around on him like they always do.

If this is a quote by Steve this isn’t the first time he’s referred to Anna as his wife.

31. chris says:

SM AND AP filmed less scenes and spent less time together for season 3 …

Maybe something happened to make her question her choice, who knows?

Or, maybe she needed to make the announcement to feel comfortable with herself … now, if her past comes out there is nothing left to hide.

I agree that something is way off between them for the announcement to be made … now there is an out for both of them which may (if they both agree) not hurt the future of the show if they split.

• Eva says:

seriously chris?
      the plot of the show and the story have nothing to do with their relationship. they don’t decide how many scenes they have together.
      she recorded this in january. since january they’ve been lots of places together, at public events and have been seen privately. loving, hugging, holding hands.
      you say ‘i agree, something is way off with them” . who are you agreeing with? you’re just trying to start something.

• billsbaby says:

This: quote “Maybe something happened to make her question her choice, who knows?” end quote

I was wondering how long it would take for that comment to show up. Some “fans” had made observations that as soon as Anna began filming scenes with “Eric” she would dump Stephen for him. I guess their twisted logic has turned into reality with this news, huh? ROTFLMAO!!! Wishful thinking isn’t going to make this come true!! For more than one reason!
      Anna isn’t leaving Stephen for ANYONE else, that’s not what this is about at all….but that comment is just a sample of how this will be twisted and turned around, especially in the tabloids, by haters who want to see them busted up. Too bad for them it has NOTHING to do with Stephen and Anna’s relationship!!

The only reason they haven’t filmed many scenes together this season is because it’s not in the script for them to film together. Bill has been kidnapped and will stay that way for several episodes per Alan Ball. But that doesn’t mean that they haven’t been together at home when not filming! It certainly doesn’t mean that either of them has “questioned his/her choice”!!

Sorry to go off but I have read some of the ignorant stuff that has been said about it and them….I was stunned myself about it when I first heard about it but when I learned that it had been filmed back in January, I knew it wasn’t a big deal for Stephen because we have seen them together and with his children plenty of times since then.

32. Julie says:

ZZ it has to be fake, why would he refer to her as HIS WIFE if they are not married yet????

• ZZ says:

use your imagination ! what if they are? or maybe she was referring to husband like as BF… it’s strange that a journalist quote fake words, at least it’s obviously a joke… not sure! anyway i bet you he will go with something similar when he gives first public words :D

33. KayJay says:

I live for the day when a person’s sexual orientation makes no never mind.

• Lividity says:

High ^^five^^ and hallelujahs!

• nothoney says:

Amen!

All this speculation about the state of Anna and Steve’s relationship is, IMO, thinly-veiled phobia of people with different sexual orientations. As more than one person has posted, the PSA was made in January – there’ve been a bunch of photos of them posted since then at several awards shows, walking their dogs, hanging with their kids, etc., looking pretty damned happy.

So, if you’re trolling this site looking for an argument or some other equally immature purpose, go away. Your narrow minded busybody opinions are not welcome.

• Selle says:

Agreed, but I wonder if it will ever happen. …..I remember reading a book called “When Lovers Are Friends” by Merle Shain. In this book, she discusses how the sex act is truly a profound and important experience, deeply intense and that it always creates bonds between the participants. Now if that’s true, which I personally believe it is, then it naturally follows that people will always consider it very important. Hence, people’s sexual choices, us being sort of drawn together much like a virtual village if you will, will always be noticed, discussed, and unfortunately, judged. I can barely type out that word “judged” without inwardly groaning, but I’ve seen enough years now to accept that the activity of judging others is probably human nature.

34. ZZ says:

Gay rights video with Paquin causes site to crash
    (AP) – 2 hours ago
    NEW YORK — A gay rights campaign that features a declaration of bisexuality by Anna Paquin has received so much traffic that its Web site crashed.
    The campaign was launched Thursday by Cyndi Lauper’s True Colors Fund. The Web-based initiative hopes to educate for “the advancement of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender equality.”
    The campaign drew particular interest because the video features Paquin, the 27-year-old star of HBO’s “True Blood,” declaring she’s bisexual.
    The Web site, wegiveadamn.org, said Friday that it was “overwhelmed” by the “enormous traffic.” Additional servers have been added.
    The video also includes appearances by Elton John, Whoopi Goldberg, Jason Mraz, Cynthia Nixon and others.

35. ZZ says:

well if my BF revealed that he is bisexual I would be double flattered because not only he had chosen me from all the girls in the world but also between all the men!

36. Eva says:

my comment was meant to be for julie @ 12:40. Oops

• ZZ says:

yes, sorry eva and anyone who experienced problems, we have beem moving server and comments may have played weird. all should be fine by now!

37. Melissa says:

She did it to help the campaing, being a bisexual herself she decided to help by stating that… And the big deal is that she is the lead actress on a hit show and is engaged to the leading man of the same show, so everybody feel the need to talk about it… Plain and simple!

38. lena152 says:

so sad that people are still equalling people being bi-sexual with them being promiscuous, unfaithful and unable to have committed relationships. that declaration simply means that she’s generally attracted to wpmen as well, not that she’ll go running of and cheat on her fiancé every time a pretty girl crosses her way. like straight people don’t find other people attractive, even when they’re in a relationship? doesn’t mean they can’t be faithful. graargh.

why this announcement now? had she simply said that in an interview, it might have made me suspicious that maybe it was just for promo reasons, but this is part of a campaign. so i’m totally cool with it. kudos to you, anna! hopefully some day people won’t give a sh** about who people choose to sleep with and campaigns like this won’t be necessary anymore.

39. I have totally enjoyed reading all of your comments about Anna and Bill. not sure how I feel about the situation. I applaud her honesty but I want to believe in failry tales (at age 71) and I’d like to think that Bill is her only love forever and ever!!

• lena152 says:

aww judy, but her being bisexual doesn’t change the odds of that fairy tale coming true. stephen (! ;) can still be her true love (if you want to believe in that), whether she’s slept with women in the past or not. that really doesn’t make a difference imo.

40. CitizenErased says:

For fuck’s sake, I saw this as headline TV news in New Zealand. I knew it would explode into a gossip fest. As for the trash talk, you can be engaged to a dude and still bisexual people. I’m (mostly) heterosexual and love men, but I don’t go out and shag them cos I have a nice hubby at home! *facepalms*

41. laura says:

am i the only one who is devastated? i loved the love story between her and stephen:-( i just had this perfect picture painted..it’s not that there’s anything wrong with being bi. i don’t know why i feel upset but i do. why now? waaaaahy:….-(